Some of us were born to video interview. Others could use some practice.
If you’re in the latter camp, here are a few important tips before you launch Zoom or Skype or another tool du jour for your next job interview on screen.
1. Always test your technology in advance. Enlist a friend to help you test your video chat connection.
2. Make sure your user name is professional. If you signed up for Zoom to show your grandmother your cat a long time ago, and named your account “Muffy’s World,” it’s going to look weird to your new boss.
3. Dress for success — at least from the waist up. Yes, they know you’re at home. Maybe they suspect you haven’t left in weeks. That’s no excuse to show up in a robe or a t-shirt.
4. Arrive a few minutes early. They probably won’t let you into the video chat until they’re ready, but when they do, you should already be there.
5. Introduce yourself with engaging body language and a smile. “Hi, I’m Jane!”
6. Always end on a positive note. Smile and say goodbye.